Friday, June 9, 2017

Knots and Catching Up

I have been a bad blogger.  I have not updated this site in over 3 years.  There are some mistakes in earlier posts, and wrong conclusions drawn about historical stitches, which I have learned over the course of the last few years.  I am hoping to revamp my site and post new information and projects, now that I have ample free time to do so.  Please be patient with my journey...

In the meantime, I am working on some Elizabethan embroidery, currently.  The motifs will eventually be sewn into needlecases for largesse.  Here is a little teaser-an acorn motif from A Scholehouse for the Needle, by Richard Shorteyker (1624.)  This motif was embroidered using linen thread (I am using up odds and ends of my threads and generally playing with different fibers to see what they can do,) on a linen background, with Japan silk #7 for the metalwork.  The stitches used are split stitch and detached buttonhole.  For what it's worth, the linen thread took quite well to detached buttonhole!  It is a bit stiffer than silk or wool, which resulted in more even stitches.  



2 comments:

  1. That's interesting to know. Detached buttonhole is one of those tricky stitches which can look rather tortured in some threads. It's good to have more possibilities!

    ReplyDelete